By Ana Maria Salaverry, community health worker
Recipe of the Month: Thai Green Curry Meatballs
As summer ends and the temperatures begin to cool down, cook this great dish flavored with a bit of spice and a little sweetness added for flavor.
For the meatballs:
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 large egg
3 tablespoons almond milk
1 pound lean ground turkey
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons Thai green curry paste
1/2 teaspoon coconut sugar
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 clove garlic, finely minced
2 green onions, minced
1 tablespoon avocado oil
For the sauce:
16 ounces canned unsweetened coconut milk
1 teaspoon Thai green curry paste
1 teaspoon light brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
juice from two limes
salt and pepper to taste
steamed jasmine or brown rice
fresh cilantro, chopped
- Add the oats, egg and milk to a large mixing bowl. Mix and set aside for ten minutes.
- After the mixture has settled, add the ground turkey, ginger, curry paste, fish sauce, sugar, cilantro, salt, garlic, and green onions.
- Scoop the meat mixture into balls, a little smaller than golf-ball size.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the avocado oil over a medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, place one layer of meatballs in the pan, leaving space between each so they don’t stick together.
- Brown the meatballs, turning occasionally as they cook, until all sides are browned. They don’t need to cook through, just be browned on all sides.
- Remove the meatballs to a plate once they are browned. Use a paper towel to blot out any grease from the pan, without removing the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add coconut milk to the pan to begin creating the sauce, scraping up the browned bits as your stir. Add green curry paste, brown sugar, and garlic, stirring to combine.
- Add the meatballs back to the skillet. Simmer them in the sauce until cooked through, about 7-10 minutes. Stir in the lime juice. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over hot, cooked rice.
Tip: Add fresh, chopped cilantro and lime wedges to give the dish a fresh flavor and create a beautiful presentation.