Michelle Wilson, wellness program manager
Healthy Recipe of the Month: Eggplant Burgers
Our healthy recipe this month comes from wellness class teachers Ana María Salaverry, community health worker, and Dori Best, LPC, CADC II. They started a new class this month, La Comida Tiene el Poder de Sanarnos (Food Has the Power to Heal) and are sharing recipes each week with class participants. You’ll find their class and more on our wellness calendar. They shared this one for our July wellness blog.
Eggplants offer us many health benefits. They have antioxidants and minerals such as phosphorus, potassium, iron, vitamins B1 and B2, and folic acid. These strengthen our immune systems to help us fight off viruses and infections.
1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 large eggplant
1 large red pepper
1 medium red onion
2-3 chopped garlic pods
4-6 tablespoons oat flour
1/4 teaspoon of salt, pepper, cumin, and red chile powder
Handful of chopped cilantro
- Cut the eggplant, red pepper, and onion into small pieces and roast in the oven until soft.
- Chop the garlic into small pieces and brown them in a frying pan with the roasted onions in 1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil on medium heat. Add the roasted eggplant and red pepper to the pan. Add the salt, pepper, cumin, and red chili powder and stir.
- Remove the mixture from the stove and let it cool. Add the eggs and mix well. Add the oat flour, one spoonful at a time, then the chopped cilantro.
- Add the last tablespoon of coconut oil to the frying pan and turn it on medium heat. Make a patty out of the mixture and cook it in the pan for 3 minutes, then turn it over and cook it for 2 more.
- Enjoy your healthy burger!
Nutritional information of one eggplant burger patty:
- 167 calories
- 23 grams of carbohydrates
- 5 grams of fat
- 5 grams of protein
Activity needed to burn it off:
- 25 minutes of cycling
- 17 minutes of running
- 1 hour of cleaning
Tip: Enjoy your burgers with a green salad by combining lettuce, grated carrots, tomatoes, and chopped avocado. Season it with a fresh dressing made of 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon honey, and salt and pepper to taste. Add a seasonal fruit to round out your meal.