By Michelle Wilson, wellness program manager
The wellness wheel and you: intellectual well-being
A new school year is starting, so it’s a great time to focus on intellectual wellness. Whether we are in school or not, keeping our minds active and healthy is important for our overall well-being. Intellectual well-being includes the ways we think, learn, and make sense of the world. We can support intellectual wellness by learning new things and being creative.
Taking care of our intellectual well-being can be fun!
Here are some ideas for adults, teens, and children:
- Try a new game: Play board games that include strategy. In addition to ones that have been around for a long time, like chess and backgammon, try some of the newer strategy games like Catan, 7 Wonders, or Cranium.
- Pick up a puzzle: Pull out jigsaw puzzles, crossword puzzles, Soduko, mazes, and other types of creative mind-benders to keep your brain growing and active.
- Create something: Our minds grow not only through thinking, but also through creating new things. Try an art project, pick up a craft that challenges you, learn to play a musical instrument, or create a new recipe in the kitchen. When we think creatively, we stimulate our brains and often feel a sense of accomplishment when we complete a new project.
- Read books or watch movies: Pick up a book on a subject you enjoy. Try non-fiction and learn about a new subject or try fiction. Studies show that reading fiction can help us think more critically and increase our feelings of empathy and understanding for other people. Watch a movie or a live performance that tells a story, and you can receive some of the same benefits, in addition to enjoying music and the visual parts of storytelling.
- Study something new: Have you ever wanted to learn a new language? Or maybe you are interested in learning about gardening or how to build a chicken coop! Choose something you are interested in and explore ways you can learn a new skill. Check out the library, bookstores, or the internet. Once you’ve learned something, share it with others, then start on a new project to continue your adventures in learning.
Watch for more blogs this month with tips on staying healthy, and visit our wellness page for videos, audios, and other resources: www.laclinicahealth.org/wellness.
Tip: Check out www.braingle.com for fun puzzles and mind-teasers to keep you entertained and mentally challenged.