By Ana Maria Salaverry, community health worker
Recipe of the Month: Chicken, asparagus, and artichoke piccata
Enjoy this great summer dish featuring healthy asparagus and artichokes. It is quick and easy to prepare and is a great meal for a summer evening.
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2/3 cup almond flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp olive oil
1 small onion, finely diced
2 cloves of crushed garlic
1 cup chicken broth
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp capers
1 tbsp parsley chopped
1 can artichokes hearts
6 spears of asparagus, trimmed and halved
- Mix the almond flour, salt, and pepper on a plate. Dredge the chicken in the almond flour on both sides until evenly coated.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan on medium heat. Cook the chicken for approximately four minutes per side until golden in color. Remove from pan and set aside on a plate.
- Add the diced onion and garlic to the pan and cook for about three minutes until the garlic becomes fragrant and the onions slightly soften.
- Pour in the chicken stock, white wine vinegar, and asparagus. Cook until the asparagus is tender but not mushy.
- Add the lemon juice, capers and artichoke hearts and return the chicken to the pan. Cook for three to four minutes until everything is warmed through. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
Tip: Serve this dish with fresh fruit or a green salad. Enjoy!