Women’s Health Center
221 W. Stewart Ave., Suite 101
Medford, OR 97501
For more information, call 541-690-3500.
La Clinica’s staff provides every nursing mother with the support she needs to have a successful breastfeeding experience.
Many mothers expect breastfeeding to be an easy, natural process. While it is easy for some, others are grateful for education and support along the way. Our lactation consultant can help every family nourish their newborn.
La Clinica offers:
• Breastfeeding support and education to expectant and new mothers
• Management of breastfeeding problems such as nipple soreness, latch issues, and breast engorgement
• Guidance in helping maintain a healthy milk supply when mothers head back to work and are separated from their babies
• Breast pump instruction when appropriate
• Breast pump rental and referral services
Experts agree that breastfeeding is beneficial to both mother and baby. The benefits of breastfeeding extend well beyond basic nutrition. In addition to containing all the vitamins and nutrients babies need in the first six months of life, breast milk is packed with disease-fighting substances that protect babies from illness. Breastfeeding also offers other benefits:
• It protects babies from gastrointestinal trouble, respiratory problems, and ear infections.
• It can stop babies from developing allergies.
• It may boost a child’s intelligence.
• It may protect against obesity later in life.
• It helps mothers lose weight.
• It can lower mothers’ stress levels and reduce postpartum bleeding.
• It may reduce mothers’ risk of some types of cancer.
• It may protect against osteoporosis later in life.
For more information on lactation education services call 541-690-3500.
The importance of breastfeeding