By Michelle Wilson, wellness program manager
What gives your life meaning?
We are focusing on our spiritual well-being in the month of May at La Clinica. We all have different ways to take care of our spiritual health, but one thing that connects the different practices of spiritual wellness is a focus on what gives us a feeling that our lives have meaning and purpose.
Ask yourself a few simple questions to help you take care of your spiritual wellness.
- What do I value most in my relationships with other people? (Some examples are kindness, generosity, honesty, and a sense of humor.)
- Do I practice these values in my own life? (Am I kind? Am I honest with others?)
- What is most important to me in the way I live my life?
- At the end of my life, what do I hope to feel? What do I hope others will remember about how I lived my life?
- Do I have regular practices, such as prayer, meditation, mindfulness, or taking walks in nature that support me in staying connected to my values and beliefs?
Take a few minutes each day to focus on this part of your life. Find a quiet place to sit and be still. Let your mind and thoughts settle and notice how your breath moves through your body. If you are able to look out and see something beautiful or something in nature, let yourself feel grateful for this part of your environment. Slow down your breathing and think about what matters most to you and what you can do each day to support that. Do this every day for a week and see if you find yourself doing anything differently or if you feel more connected to your values. Connect with people you trust and talk about your experience or write about it in a journal to help you continue to take care of your spiritual well-being.
Tip: Watch this short video on spiritual wellness from Bob Baumann, a La Clinica staff member: Living a Healthy Life Video Series | La Clinica (laclinicahealth.org)